Last time Scott used our cast iron skillet to make blackened fish, he left it for too long outside, started a fire and burned it up. Sooo, I’ve had to improvise on our favorite blackened Tilapia dish. The baked one is just as good. This is what you do:
- I bought a package of frozen Tilapia fillets. We’ve used fresh as well. If it’s frozen, put the individually wrapped fillets in some warm water. It will be defrosted in a matter of 10 minutes.
- Put the fish in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the fish with blackening seasoning. Zatarain’s makes some and then there’s this other kind that is purple and black with a fat guy and a chef’s hat on. Sorry, I don’t know the brand but it comes in a box in the seasonings. I sprinkle mine pretty heavily.
- Put two pats of butter on each end of each filet.
- Bake on 500 for 25-30 minutes.
And voila! Seriously good, easy, super-tasty and quick (and mostly healthy) fish.