Oh, I had written these as a regular post but it’s pretty perfect for Top Ten Tuesday…
Scott and I spent some time with a new friend tonight. She’s older and wiser and we talked a lot about parenting and marriage. Came away with the reminder that the basic stuff still matters and works. I made a list for myself as a reminder and thought I’d share.
- Be up before or with the kids
- Fix 3 healthy meals
- Give your child your full attention, especially when he/she is asking for it
- Give one-on-one attention to each child
- Don’t send your kids off to an activity at every chance
- Have their playthings organized
- Make them clean up their messes
- Don’t back down when your kids buck your authority
- Don’t let the kids play you and your spouse against each other
- Money doesn’t make a difference whether you are a successful parent
OK, so that’s ten but I haven’t even gotten to the marriage part!
- Don’t emasculate your husband
- Don’t emotionally detach from your husband
- Husbands, lead your family and fight for your wife and kids
- The health of your marriage is a choice, one that both parties make
- Don’t give up
As you can see, a lot of these are quite convicting. It’s easy to say, oh yeah, of course I do that but I know I fail a lot. But the little stuff matters. It really, really matters. To those mommys and wifeys out there doing even some of these, give yourself a pat on the back! You’re doing your job well!
Check out more Top Ten Tuesday posts over at ohamanda.com