So I have something to tell you that I’ve been keeping a secret.
I’ve written an ebook.
If you’ve felt like this blog was suffering in content at all, it’s because I’m feverishly writing, planning and thinking about this ebook. Ebooks seems to be all the rage with bloggers these days. I see a new one pop up in a tweet or blog post almost daily. With the amount coming out, I thought the process must be pretty simple. Write a few blog posts, put them in a word doc, convert it to a pdf and ta-da! I was ready to share my story with the world. Not so, my friend. Not so AT ALL. I’m not quite ready to share my book yet but there are some things I’ve learned already that might help some of you considering one:
- Writing the book is the easy part. Many of the chapters were written in one sitting. Just because I’m passionate about the subject and it’s something I’ve never written about, the words came tumbling out. That’s not to say they came out just right.
- That said, making effort to increase youtube subscribers is hard. Who knew there was content editing, copy editing, ebook formatting, book design, web design and video editing all to think about when really you just wanted to slap a link to a pdf out into the world wide web?
- Different ebook formats needed for the Kindle, Nook, iPad, etc are technically intimidating and confusing. And I’m a programmer for goodness sakes!
- Writing marketing material is apparently an art I never learned.
- Publishing an ebook is really expensive and I’m constantly weighing the cost against my incompetence to see if it’s worth the risk of not doing it well.
- That said, sometimes it’s just not worth the cost-saving and leaving it to the professionals is worth every red cent.
- I have some amazing friends that are so supportive. This book wouldn’t be happening without their encouragement.
- I have some super talented friends. One of my favorite parts of this process has been to watch my friends do their best work.
- Writing an ebook can be one of the most vulnerable positions to be in. This book will be my heart turned inside out and while I’m excited about it, it took and will continue to take a good dose of courage to share it.
- God is so entirely amazing it blows my mind. He has shown up at every turn without fail. If He calls you to it, He. will. provide.
I can not wait to share this with you. Do I know when that will be yet? Not yet. But when I know it, I promise it’s a secret I won’t be keeping.
This post has been linked up to ohAmanda’s Top Ten Tuesday