I haven’t talked too much TV lately but I just have to share about a new show I’ve caught up on recently that is a must-watch. I’m talking Friday Night Lights-level love here. The BBC show Downton Abbey.
Imagine Pride and Prejudice but 8 times better and drawn out as a TV series. I’m serious. It’s that good. Here are 10 things I love about it.
- The show had a great hook right from the start. The show takes place in Yorkshire at Downton Abbey, where the Earl and Countess of Grantham live with their older three daughters. The two male heirs are killed in the Titanic and it sets off the basis for entirety of Season 1.
- The filming quality is that of a movie, not of a TV show. The setting is legitimately filmed at a castle in England. The costumes have won awards and are amazing. It’s just one of those shows that is simply beautiful to watch.
- The show is different from other period pieces like Pride and Prejudice in that it deals moreso with the servants and the running of the house versus the royalty and their dealings. Yes, it’s mixed in but you get a unique look at that period I’ve not seen anywhere else.
- The ensemble cast is spot-on. There is not a bad actor to be found.
- There are good, honorable characters. There is one in particular, Mr. Bates, that is honorable to a fault. One of the servants Anna is a caring woman with integrity. You can’t help but love them dearly.
- There are some great evil characters too. There are two servants in particular that are foul-mouthed, morally destitute and downright scoundrels. I love to hate them but it makes for some GREAT TV.
- There are some funny characters too. The mother of the Earl has the perfect sense of sarcasm I appreciate about the British.
- Because the Earl has three daughters, many of the storylines are about finding them a husband. You know I can’t help but love a good storyline about a couple.
- Each season only has 7 episodes. It’s easy to get caught up but each episode is packed with so much drama so you don’t feel jipped.
- Season 1 is on Netflix! PBS will be airing the second season starting in January so you gotta get caught up!
Seriously, ya’ll. You have to watch. The first episode I would say has the most controversial scene of the whole first season but don’t let that put you off. The rest of the season is amazing. Here’s a promo for the first season. Just watching it makes me want to watch it all again!
This post was linked up with ohAmanda’s Top Ten Tuesday.