I’m not a new year resolver. But there is an ongoing list of skills that I wish I could learn to do. Some skills need to come naturally and they just don’t. Others I don’t have time to tackle and still others I have absolutely no reason not to tackle but I just haven’t yet. And here they are:
- Sell something on etsy. Anything. It’s a few-years-long dream of mine. I wish I was super crafty and my days were spent crafting something up while customers anxiously awaited new items. If there was an item on this list I’m considering, this is it. I just have to come up with that brilliant idea of a craft I can actually do. Ideas accepted in the comments.
- On that note, I wish I could sew. It’s really sad I don’t know how to as my mother does it for a living. Plus, she sent me to sewing classes. I did learn how to sew a straight line. Or, wait, I think there was a curve in one of those lessons. But I don’t own a machine and don’t have the time to sit and practice or learn to sew from a pattern.
- Can food. This is ridiculous as I’m sure I CAN can. I remember my great-grandmother canning all kinds of jellies and veggies and storing them in her cellar. But every time I look at instructions there are jars and special tong thingies (did you just read that as “thongs”. because I just did during a read-through). and rules about temperatures and it’s just overwhelming.
- Write a song. But not just a song, a great song. I’m always in awe when someone can write a smart song, particularly with a play on words. I just haven’t thought of anything smart yet.
- Write a novel. I actually tried that once and am pretty sure it’s not meant for me. But I wish it were.
- Own chickens. Seriously I think those little houses are so cute and the idea of having fresh eggs is pretty amazing. But the mess. And the smell. And the inability to turn the chickens “off” turns ME off.
- Run. I completed the Couch to 5K and really WANTED to like running but I don’t. But hey, I HAVE done the 30 Day Shred for 10 days.
- Quit work. I wish I were a Stay at Home Mom and had time to learn and do all these things. No surprises there. However, being in debt is NOT on this list.
- Floss every day. Please don’t tell me you do this or I’ll have to kick you in the shin.
- Love to pretend play. I love to spend time with my kids. I really do. I can bake, color and play Monopoly with the best of them. But I don’t, and haven’t since I was 8, liked playing with Barbies, babies, American Girl dolls, etc. With the exception of running the toy cash register, I have to force myself in the playroom.
OK, so that felt a little whiny. Sorry for the whine. If you do any of these well, I would love to hear it! And list a few tips on how I might actually add one of these to a real task list!
This post was linked to ohAmanda’s Top Ten Tuesday.