The Story of that One Bad Day

Let me tell you the story of today (and only part of the day, mind you).  When I said I wanted my life to be full of adventure the other day this certainly is not what I had in mind.


Source: via Eveli on Pinterest


Well, we ought to start off Tuesday night.  I knew I felt a UTI coming on but really didn’t want to pay for an urgent care visit or take the time.  I figured I could drown it with water.  By lunch Wednesday, I realized it was going to be a no-go and if I didn’t care to be in pain ala Tom Hanks character in The Green Mile I was going to have to buck up and go.  I did and was ever so grateful to have some meds.

Last night I panicked a bit because I realized today I had to go to the office.  Normally it’s not a big deal because Scott is home and he helps get the kids ready for school while I’m getting ready.  I had everything ready last night though and besides the fact I couldn’t sleep last night, this morning went well. 

The day started to go wrong when my manager and I sat down mid-morning for a meeting and the fire alarm sounded.  I looked at him and said, “Is that like a legit fire alarm?”  And yes, I’m known for asking unnecessary questions.  I quickly began to regret the fact I had worn my most uncomfortable set of heels I own.  We have to take the stairs 5 floors down and then go stand in a parking lot. 

Wouldn’t you know, though, as soon as we got down there I realized I’d left my badge at my desk.  I couldn’t just hop back inside to get it because, you know, I needed my badge to get in the building.  That meant more walking to a different entrance when all of this was over and probably a blister too.


Source: via Jerome on Pinterest


Then, as if we were in a dark and twisty poem, dark clouds started moving pretty fast overhead and a quick look at someone’s cell said that we had just a few minutes before we were all in the middle of a bad storm.  We had to walk even further to the nearby parking deck for cover and climb a few flights of stairs to the deck entrance since they were now letting people back in the building. 

At this point though my feet weren’t my problem.  My stomach started to feel a little funny.  Once I got to the stupendously long line for those who didn’t grab their badges I was feeling worse and the hall had almost zero air conditioning.  I got hot.  Really hot.  I started fanning myself with my composition notebook.  Fan, fan, fan.  I was going to faint.  If you know me, you know I never get hot indoors and something was very wrong.  I even sat down on a nearby bench to get a small break both from my heels and you know, make the fainting hurt less.


Source: Uploaded by user via Mary on Pinterest


We eventually made it in without any fainting but I told my manager I’d need a few minutes to get some water and gather myself.  Twenty minutes later I was no longer about to faint but just did not feel well.  I’ll spare you the digestive details.  My manager saw that I wasn’t well and we canceled our meeting and he suggested I head home.  I was all about going home.  When someone says go home, I’m the first out the door but I just wasn’t sure I could drive.  I stuck around trying to breathe through my nose and drink water for another 30 minutes and then packed myself up and prayed my way home, trying to calculate what bathroom I’d use at each exit if necessary.

I made it home, and a quick Google search told me that most likely I was having awful side effects from the antibiotics.  I’m thankful the kids were at school and I was able to writhe on my bedroom floor for the next two hours in between trying to play ball with Tucker who’d been crated all morning since I was at work. Don’t you just love when the medicine that’s supposed to make you feel better gives you other, worse conditions?

Just as it was time for me to get the girls, I let Tucker out one more time.  Once I let him back in my bedroom I realized there was suddenly an awful dead fish smell in my room.  It didn’t take long to realize it was coming from dog poo on his paw that he was traipsing around my bedroom carpet.  Tucker!!!  I was barely well enough to walk but had to go wash him off with the hose outside.  Never mind the fact my carpet now needed clean and sanitized, we headed to get the girls.

I finally got the girls from school, got my new meds and got home.  I decided I was finally well enough to log back into work.  And then I see that Tucker has decided to use my secure ID card as a chew toy and rendered it unusable.  Tucker!!!!

Source: via Marshall on Pinterest



That’s when the laughing started.  Could this day get any worse?  Yes, much.  But, wow.  What a day.


  1. That kind of adventure I will gladly forego! :)

  2. P.S. Hope you’re feeling MUCH better!

  3. Oh my! That is a day! I hope today is better for you!