I totally did NOT mean to find a new TV show. Did. Not. I’ve been enjoying my TV-less life the last year or so. It’s freed so much time to read and write (and SLEEP) in the evenings. I don’t feel so attached to a TV schedule. I feel freeee.
I decided to see what all the fuss about Scandal was. MISTAKE.
It’s all my favorite dramas in one show. If you combined The Practice, Dexter, Grey’s Anatomy and some political show, then that’s Scandal. The only thing that would make it better is if Riggins from Friday Night Lights showed up as a client.
I should have known I would like it since Shonda Rhimes created it but I thought I was just OVER all the dramatics. Turns out not so much.
It’s so good. Except it’s not very good. I mean, the show centers around an affair the President of the United States is having. There’s a lot of dirty politics and violence and lying and cover-ups and what not. But seriously? Such good characters and writing.
A few comments for you Scandal watchers:
(I’m on Season 2 Episode
10 11 12 right after the President gets out of the hospital asks for a divorce).
- Kerry Washington is brilliant.
- Even though it goes against everything I believe in real life, I love the President and Olivia together. I mean, not very many actors can pull off so much steam just looking at each other.
- I love all the plays Olivia makes to fix things. It’s never what I would think to do and I respect her ability to think like that (even though I know that’s not really a person but the writers? I love them for writing that).
- I enjoy the fast-paced banter between the team.
- I enjoy the long-running storylines. I literally had to take notes on everything that was happening with Hollis and I LOVE that a TV show challenges me to think.
- I really miss Steve from Season 1.
- In Season 2, I don’t like that Olivia is back at the White House. I mean, I like that she’s doing what she’s good at and has more reason to interact with Fitz, but I kind of miss her being at her place and the episode concentrating on whatever random person in trouble had stumbled in to her office.
- Huck fascinates me. He’s like a cuddly Dexter.
- I do not like the VP. Her fake Southern accent is annoying and I cannot stand the way they are portraying her role as a conservative Christian. I mean, seriously? “It’s is God’s will” and all that nonsense. It’s insulting. This is part of the reason I quit watching Grey’s Anatomy actually. I’m hoping since the President is getting better that she disappears quickly.
So yeah, that’s what I’ve been spending my extra time doing this week.
If you don’t watch it, just stay away—you’ll lose the next week or two of your life. Seriously.
If you watch Scandal, DO NOT spoil anything for me pretty please but does the VP go away? Does Olivia stay at the White House? Who are your favorite characters? Share your love of the show in the comments!