At the start of 2014, I wrote at the end of my goals post “The one thing I know is this year is going to hold a lot of events I can’t even begin to prepare for.” Not even 10 days later I totaled our van. Lexi was sick and missed the entire next week of school and then I was sick for the last week of January. 2014 came at us with a literal bang.
But it wasn’t all bad news. We came into the year expecting Scott to have surgery and now his back is getting better and we’re doubting he’ll need it! Thank you, Lord!
All that to say my goals didn’t quite go as expected. Here’s my list with updates. If I don’t mention them at all, it’s because I’ve slated them for later in the year.
Make one extra house payment– What a story. I called and added extra to our payment, but then they ended up deducting an ENTIRE EXTRA HOUSE PAYMENT for January. We had to do some major finagling to cover that while they gave us a refund. Whew, there were a few stressful days there. All that to say we are on target for this one. Save x amount for a new vehicle– Haha. Hahahaha. Well, this goal is quite interesting now. We got an entire new vehicle we weren’t expecting this month. We do still want to save for the next one, although any extra cash this month went to covering the gap for the current new vehicle. Pay for Scott’s back surgery, if needed. Ouch.It’s looking like his back is healing! Scott goes to the doctor tomorrow to the surgeon so pray it has been healing like we think!
- Fund travels (Great Wolf Lodge, Allume, Summer vacation, Anniversary trip) –> After reading Notes from a Blue Bike and being even more inspired to travel, this category is getting some major attention as we make plans. Without Scott having to have surgery, we are hoping to stretch this goal!
Health & Fitness
- Work out 30 min/day, 5 times a week. –> I worked out about half the month. It was terrible. After the wreck, I was having some back pain so I didn’t think it was a good idea to work out. And then it snowed and Lexi was sick and then I got sick and blerg. Mostly, though, I just didn’t want to work out. I’ve been scheming the past few days on how to get on track. Anyone up for an accountability group?
- Continue AdvoCare supplements –> I continued on Spark but stopped the other supplements because of our budget cuts. I’m hoping to get back on track with this.
- Stay off sugar as much as possible, aka, don’t eat ice cream every night –> I was TERRIBLE at this. I think I had ice cream almost every single night. I’ve been doing really well the rest of the day, though, so my diet isn’t all trashed. I really need a better late night snack. Ideas?
- Floss every day –> I didn’t do this every day but I only missed 5 days or so! Yeehaw! The Lift app helped.
Guest post once/month
- Write 500 words every day –> Not every single day, but almost! I’m picking up journaling again and I forgot how much writing helps me process.
Post at least 3x/week
- Read 3 books about writing/blogging. –> I read the first and loved it so much: Bird by Bird
Schedule weekly brainstorming sessions Keep an editorial calendar
Buy one sewing pattern and complete the project –> I actually completed TWO sewing projects so, extra credit for the year?
Have coffee 1x/month with a friend Continue to host small group 1x/week–> We did this as much as we could. Between the weather and sickness, we only met twice last month
- Have a family over for dinner 1x/month -> We had this planned with a family, but sickness canceled it. However, we did have dinner with Dani and her family when we were in Columbia. So, there’s that.
Have family game night on Tuesdays–> We did this one night and it was a total bust. We have been trying to sprinkle games through the week though. We’re loving Mancala right now. I’m striking this from the goals list altogether. Go on 2 date nights/month–> I’m counting this. We had two Saturday mornings where we got out together. It wasn’t a traditional date night but we did spend some quality time together.
- Start a conversation journal with Emma and Lexi and write in it at least 1x/week –> Did not not do this yet even though I keep thinking of it. NEED to do it soon.
- Write our Compassion kids 1x/month –> After following the Compassion Blogger trip, I’m kicking myself for not getting this one done. I’m going to schedule this on my calendar to make sure it happens.
- Adding for the year: I really want to try geocaching when it gets warmer. Any tips?
Read 52 books–> I’m on track. I abandoned 1 and finished 3 with several more in process.
Continue to attend church and host small group weekly –> We did these as much as we could barring sickness and snow. Memorize Scripture
- Complete The Promised One (1 month left) * –> Picked this up a few times but not as much as I wanted.
Host/attend IF conference in February–> YES! I planned this through January and it’s happening Friday. If you need a place to gather around Charlotte for IF:Gathering, we still have a few spots left.
I’ll be honest, going through that list and posting it is painful. Even though I was prepared for not having all of it done, my checklist self does not like not being on track 100%. That Health & Fitness category is just, sad, sad, sad. I’ll tell you what, though, it really makes me want to do better for next month!
However, I do have lots to celebrate and I plan to do just that. I have a post brewing about how to celebrate without food or spending money. I am super proud of myself for upping my flossing, finishing not 1 but 2 sewing projects, staying on track with writing and reading and buckling down on our finances.
How is 2014 going for you so far? Any big surprises? Everything going swimmingly? Terribly?